Friday, September 5, 2008

Disaster Relief

Hello there internet world and friends,

So these posts aren't coming as frequently as I'd like, but again, I'm renewing my efforts and hoping that'll change! Just to update you shortly since my last post, camp is officially over and I've started working with the housing arm of CAP. My job is basically to go around to people's homes who need repair work done and do it for them! In my 3 weeks on the job, I've replaced a LOT of windows, finished roofing a porch, replaced some doors, built a back porch/balcony (there ya go Aaron), and cleaned out the storage barn where we keep our supplies.

Currently, however, I'm working Disaster Relief in Louisville, KY. Basically, whenever there is a disaster that affects an Appalachian state, CAP may get a call for assistance. It just so happens that Louisville is one of the evacuation sites for the victims of Hurricane Gustav, and CAP was asked to drive their shower trailer to the city to offer showers to the evacuees, and also to help with laundry. The shower trailer is a converted tractor trailer that has 10 showers installed inside. Basically, you drive it up, hook up some water and power, and presto, showers! My job has been to clean out the showers each time someone finishes and prepare it for the next person. We've been running the trailer 24/7 since we got here on Saturday night before Labor Day, and I've been here since Labor Day working. It's been REALLY tiring, but rewarding as well because I've gotten to meet some AMAZING people.

So, in closing, here's a video of the shower trailer and myself, and hopefully you'll start to see more regular posts from down here showing you what my work is like!

Love you all, keep safe!




mike

No comments: